Programs about the history of stamps and the postal system can be presented at public libraries, social clubs, senior centers, independent and assisted living facilities.
Do you have stamps you no longer wish to keep? The Museum accepts donations of all
types of stamps and philatelic material on Thursdays or by Appointment.
All children receive a free packet of stamps one every visit., with a completed quiz on the Main Gallery exhibits giving the opportunity to win even more stamps!
Introduced to stamp collecting by seminarian Lawrence Killian while they were together at the North American College in Rome, Italy, Spellman loved to use stamps as souvenirs, having stamps signed to commemorate events in the church and in the world. He was joined in this pursuit by Jascha Heifetz and Dwight D. Eisenhower (yes, that Eisenhower). As his collection expanded he asked Fidelma Conway, CSJ, to act as caretaker for his collection in 1938.
In 1950 he wrote a sentiment by which the Museum continues to operate, "Stamps are miniature documents of human history. They are the means by which a country gives sensible expression to its hopes and needs; its beliefs and ideals."
In 1960, the National Philatelic Museum in Philadelphia, aligned with Temple University, was dissolved and most of its equipment, literature, and philatelic holdings were transferred to the newly incorporated, not for profit, 501c3, independent and self-supporting Cardinal Spellman Philatelic Museum.
In 1961, ground was broken on the campus of Regis College for the museum, which officially opened in 1963, with PMG J. Edward Day as keynote speaker.
Spellman Museum of Stamps & Postal History Mission Statement
The Spellman Museum is a center of learning for people of all ages. It preserves, enhances and expands its collections, library, and facilities and provides programs and activities as a philatelic trust for the lifelong education and inspiration of the general public; promotes the hobby of stamp collecting; and, is a resource to engage historians, the curious, and the researcher.
Revised by Trustees October 2015. Approved by Corporation April 2016.